Herbal medicine is a foundational treatment in traditional Chinese medicine, but it has also found its way into mainstream medicine where many physicians embrace its proven benefits. Dr. Beijing Men is an expert in herbal medicine who customizes each patient’s treatment to restore their health and energy. If you’re interested in learning how herbal medicine may relieve your pain and heal your illness or disease, call one of the offices in Seattle or Bellevue, Washington, or book an appointment online.
Herbal Medicine Q & A
What is herbal medicine?
Herbal medicine uses the active ingredients naturally found in plants to prevent disease, treat illness, and help you maintain optimal wellness. In Chinese medicine, herbs also have their own vital energy, or Qi, which is considered together with active components when developing individualized herbal treatments.
Your herbal medicine may be delivered in a variety of forms, such as:
- Herbal decoction: active chemicals are extracted by placing plant stems, root, or bark into boiling water
- Herbal powder: the herbs are ground into a powder that you mix with hot water
- Chinese patent formulas: premade pills or tablets
- Syrups: a soothing preparation often used for a cough or a sore throat
- Liniments, salves, or plasters: the herbs are placed on your skin
Plasters are dressings treated with healing herbs, which are often formulated to relieve the pain of tight or injured muscles.
What health conditions can herbal medicine treat?
With a multitude of bioactive plants and their diverse ingredients, Dr. Men can develop an herbal mixture to treat nearly every illness and health condition.
Dr. Men can treat acute illnesses like the flu, as well as chronic health problems such as allergies, chronic fatigue syndrome, and headaches. Herbal medicine can boost your energy, improve your sleep, and decrease pain.
These are a few examples of conditions treated with herbal medicine:
- Skin conditions including eczema, rosacea, and hives
- Gastrointestinal disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis
- Respiratory conditions including asthma and bronchitis
- Urinary tract problems like chronic cystitis
- Reproductive tract issues including erectile dysfunction and infertility
- Psychological disorders such as depression, anxiety, and stress
Dr. Men also recommends herbal medicine to maintain your body’s energy balance and prevent disease.
What should I know about herbal medicine and prescription medications?
The botanicals used in Chinese herbal medicine have specific effects in your body. This means they deliver exceptional benefits, but you’re also at risk for potential adverse effects.
The active components in your herbs can interact with other herbs and prescription medications. For this reason, it’s important to give Dr. Men a comprehensive list of the medications and supplements you use before he develops your herbal medicine regimen.
In some cases, herbal medicine can be used to counteract the side effects caused by prescription medications.
To learn whether herbal medicine can help with your pain, illness, or health problem, call Integrated Oriental Medicine or book an appointment online.